Thursday, September 23, 2010

Meeting Kiersten

Rich and I had our ultrasound today hoping to get an answer to the big question... where is that pesky placenta?!?!~
The answer: Still in the same place. It's not moved away from my cervix, which means that a c-section is pretty much inevitable.
I have a follow up appointment with my ob/gyn on 9/29 to actually discuss my options, but as things stand right now, here is the situation:

I have a follow up ultrasound on 10/15 where they will take another gander at the location of my placenta.
If it's moved, then we will (probably) try for labor and I will likely carry to term with a natural birth.
If it still hasn't moved, they will do an amniocentesis to determine if the baby's lungs are fully developed.
~If the lungs are developed, then they will perform a c-section within the next few days following that appointment.
~If the lungs are not developed, they will wait a week or so and deliver via c-section then.

A little more information on the likelihood of each option... the actual location of my placenta is on the back side of my uterus. There would be a better chance of it moving if it were on the front side of my uterus, because then as my belly grows, it could move upwards. With it being on the backside, the chances are slim that it is going anywhere.
So at this point, Rich and I are wrapping our heads around an October c-section. It's crazy thinking we may have a baby here in less then a month!
As soon as we know more, I will write again. Other then that, I am still feeling pretty good. Sleeping is incomfortable, but if that is my biggest problem then I am in good shape. Rich and I are just excited to see how things are going to unfold. Can't wait to meet baby Kiersten, and it looks like it may be sooner then we thought.
Love Linds, Rich, and baby K.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I know this must be difficult not knowing but before you know it you will be holding your sweet little girl. I think of you guys often. Stay strong, pack your freezer full of food, and get as much sleep now because the count down has begun. Good luck to you all. Love, Alison, Sam, & Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend has had four c-sections and thinks they are the greatest thing ever invented. I'm all for planned deliveries. Sending happy thoughts and faith and trust and a liberal sorinklin of pixie dust, WAIT, that's Peter pan, it's been a LONG day. Really though, sending good thoughts for happy and healthy developed lungs for the little miss. What is your address??? Email me it please!

    ReplyDelete